This week, Calabar, one of the biggest tourist destinations in Africa is on our radar and we are exploring the beautiful city and showcasing the must-see places when you get there.
So for a lot of people when we hear about Calabar, we automatically think of Obudu Mountain Resort, forgetting all the other amazing tourist sites and places we could actually visit. Travelden curates the top 5 places in Calabar.
- Drill Ranch, Pandrillus: The drill ranch is run by Peter Jenkins and Liza Gadsby. Pandrillus is a conservation area where Drill Monkeys are rehabilitated and re-introduced into the wild. The Drill Ranch in Calabar is the city branch of Pandrillus. At the Drill Ranch in Calabar, you’ll find Drill Monkeys (which are endangered animals) and chimpanzees. You’ll also find other rescued animals like antelopes, parrots and more. The Drill Ranch is a great place to see these animals up close and well-looked after
- Explore Tinapa Resort: Tinapa has world-class facilities that enable visitors to engage in retail and wholesale activities as well as leisure and entertainment. It has an open exhibition area for trade exhibitions and other events, a movie production studio commonly referred to as “Studio Tinapa” or “Nollywood”, and entertainment strip that has a casino, an Eight-Screen Cinema, a children’s arcade, restaurants and a mini amphitheater, a nightclub and pubs.
- Relax At Tortuga Island: Enjoy a special ‘sit-out’ experience in any of our three plantation style bars. Situated in beautifully landscaped gardens, these colonial inspired theme bars offer panoramic views of the river. Drink a cocktail while watching the sunset and then enjoy a delightful dinner of barbecued meat or any of the other Cross River delicacies on offer. You can also enjoy speedboat trips along the Calabar river to Creek Town.
- Visit The Calabar Salve Museum: Located at the Marina Resort, there are tour guides that will take you through the museum where you will be made to have a feel of some of the things that took place during the slave trade era.
- Participate In The Calabar Carnival: If you happen to visit Calabar around December, then you should definitely participate in the world famous Calabar Carnival. Tagged ” Africa’s Biggest Street “, it is a major reason why Calabar is the number one tourist destination for Nigerians and tourists. The carnival which begins on every 1 December and lasts until 31 December has boosted the cultural mosaic of Nigeria people while entertaining the millions of spectators within and outside the State